Preperations for Vintage 2016

Today we prepared for the upcoming vintage which should be about 2 weeks away, depending on weather.

We removed green or damaged bunches.

IMG_7159

Green or damaged grapes are removed now, about 2 weeks before harvest

Most importantly we undertook a bunch count and weighing in order to estimate our future crop. Bunch counts were done on randomly selected vines and this provides an estimate of the number of bunches across our 400 vines that we tend. Then we randomly take 4 bunches per row and weigh them in order to estimate crop size. All going to plan (the birds don’t attack) we estimated we will get about 1300 Kg of grapes, which should give us 700 litres of wine, perhaps 2 barrels and some spare if individual want to ferment small batch of their own.

The sample bunches taken for weighing are then crushed and sugar reading done. Two readings were taken, the refractometer indicated 11.5 Beaume, the hydrometer indicated a little below that. Acid readings will be done later today.

IMG_7161

Sugar readings are done with a refractometer (shown) and a hydrometer.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s